Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Happy Year of the Rabbit.


So, today is the Chinese New Year- HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Tis the year of the rabbit...

Not that this is at all a rabbit...I just really like this photo...

I'm a tad in love with a lot that is Chinese- what with its chop sticks, yum cha, photo posing opportunities, takeaway boxes, flowers in tea, cute outfits, porcelain skin, all the proverbs, and lantern obsession...Suits me to a tee.






So my day started at work with red lanterns, awesomely made dragons (with egg boxes, feathers and crepe paper), carried on to cooking steamed buns (baozi) and then followed up some Wellington stairs to a chinese meal out with a friend (with fortune cookies-which now makes me think we were possibly at a Japanese restaurant?).


and thennnn, the most exciting part of my day happened at about 9pm as I sat in Aro park, on the phone to a far away friend...

...two boys came up the path...
stood for a while...
then burst this sort of firework from their hands... 
and this massive explosion just came- it was INCREDIBLE with all these colours above and below....

I had no idea what these awesome people were up to as I quite ardently described to my friend still on the phone. 
But it is now that I realise, that they were ending my day in celebration of the Chinese New Year.